The "L" has been credited with fostering the growth of Chicago's dense city core that is one of the city's distinguishing features.The "L" consists of eight rapid transit lines laid out in a spoke–hub distribution paradigm focusing transit towards the Loop.Since 2015, Crain’s has been scouting the Chicago area for the best event spaces.
The Metropolitan was the United States' first non-exhibition rapid transit system powered by electric traction motors, Two years later the South Side "L" introduced multiple-unit control, in which the operator can control all the motorized cars in a train, not just the lead unit.
The company petitioned to end rail service in 1958, and despite several years of legal opposition from an organization of regular commuters, the North Shore Line became the final interurban system to undergo complete abandonment with the end of all rail service in January 1963.
The Chicago Transit Authority Yellow Line currently operates over a portion of the former right-of-way, and several pieces of the railway's rolling stock have been preserved.
Although the "L" gained its name because large parts of the system are elevated, The first "L", the Chicago and South Side Rapid Transit Railroad, began revenue service on June 6, 1892, when a steam locomotive pulling four wooden coaches carrying over a couple of dozen people departed the 39th Street station and arrived at the Congress Street Terminal 14 minutes later, over tracks that are still in use by the Green Line.
Over the next year service was extended to 63rd Street and Stony Island Avenue, then the Transportation Building of the World's Columbian Exposition in Jackson Park.